With the last release of Windows 10, Microsoft has added a considerable amount of new services and features. This is my How-to guide on service vulnerabilities and non-essential services in Windows 10 to help close security related holes and recover unused resources from services.
Please note – This configuration has only been tested on, both a Windows 10 Desktop and Laptop and does not take into consideration the Surface or Surface 3 devices.
There are 5 distinct versions of Windows 10 – Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education, and S.
The recorded configuration was achieved on Pro Edition on both desktop and laptop computers. Please keep in mind if you have a different version, you may lack or have additional services not covered by this How-to guide.
Find a list of all Windows 10 Services Here!!
**WARNING — This list assumes a laptop or desktop computer is a stand-alone PC on a LAN (Local Area Network) with no devices such as printers, phones or other peripherals connected**
Here is a list of the services to modify and what settings I recommend
- AllJoyn Router Services – Disabled
- App Readiness – Manual
- Bluetooth Handsfree Server – Disabled
- Connected Device Platform Service – Disabled
- Connected User Experiences and Telemetry – Disabled
- Data Sharing Service – Manual
- Data Collection Publishing Service – Manual
- Device Association Service – Disabled
- Device Managment Enrollment Service – Disabled
- DevQuery Background Discovery Broker – Manual
- HV Host Service – Disabled
- All Hyper-V Services – Disabled
- Infrared Monitor Service – Disabled
- Microsoft (R) Diagnostic Hub Standard Collector Service – Disabled
- Microsoft Windows SMS Router Service – Disabled
- Phone Service – Disabled
- Radio Managment Services – Disabled
- Retail Demo Service – Disabled
- Sensor Data – Disabled
- Sensor Monitoring Service – Disabled
- Sensor Service – Disabled
- Shared PC Account Manager – Disabled
- Still Image Acquisition Events – Disabled
- Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service – Disabled
- WalletService – Disabled
- Windows Camera Frame Server – Disabled
- Windows Insider Service – Disabled
- Windows Mobile Hotspot Service – Disabled
- Windows Push Notification System Service – Disabled
- Work Folders – Disabled
- Xbox Live Auth Manager- Disabled
- Xbox Live Game Save – Disabled
- Xbox Live Networking Game – Disabled